Personal Coaching for Writers
Once we decide to listen to the untold stories of our hearts, it can be difficult to know how to shape the works into something meaningful and expressive. The act of writing about our experiences helps to us understand our personal narratives and the unique way we see the world. Personal coaching provides individualized instruction and support throughout the writing process.
• 1.5 hours instruction and consultation via web conference.
• Developmental editing with one revision: 16 pages (maximum 4000 words) double-spaced fiction/memoir or 8 poems (maximum 2000 words total).
$1,000 + Travel
Two-hour Community Workshops are designed for groups of 20 persons or fewer and provide a mix of lecture, exercises, and discussion on a variety of topics.
• Improv for Stuck Writers
• Speaking Your Work: Writers Reading Their Work Out Loud
• Heritage and Memory in Memoir
• Sense of Place: Expressions in Poetry, Fiction, or Memoir (one genre per workshop)
• The Magic of Formed Poetry
Small Things: Writing about Life through Objects
Cultural Sensitivity Reading for Prose
$250 for up to 75,000 words
$4 per 1,000 words after 75,000
Manuscript review for issues of cultural and gender representation and for instances of bias which may reflect negative stereotypes and/or charged language. Manuscripts should be free of glaring copy errors (grammar, spelling, punctuation) and submission ready. Comments returned are typically 2-3 pages double-spaced in length.
Developmental Editing for Prose
$400 for up to 75,000 words
$8 per 1,000 words after 75,000
Manuscript analysis for coherence, arc of story, character development, dialogue, voice, pace, flow, transitions, and reader engagement. Manuscripts should be free of glaring copy errors (grammar, spelling, punctuation) and submission ready. Analysis returned is typically 5-7 pages double-spaced in length.